A couple of weeks ago I had a whole bunch of test done to try and determine why we loss Baby Sellers. I realize with miscarriages there are many women who never get an answer, an explanation to why their baby died so I've been trying not to get my hopes up that we would get an answer. After my D&C the baby and placenta were sent in for testing and that came back inconclusive. So we will never know if there was or was not something wrong with our baby. This news was really hard to accept at first, but it's getting easier. After the inconclusive testing on the baby it was my turn to get poked and prodded. I had over 20 vials of blood drawn (all in the same day =/) with the hope that we would get some kind of an explanation. That hope is a double edged sword. On one hand I want an explanation, a reason for why my baby had to die, but on the other hand I hope that there isn't anything wrong with me. That this was just a really crappy thing that happened but I will be able to go on and have a "normal" pregnancy in the future.
Well the results are in and I have what they call a MTHFR gene mutation. I encourage you to Google it if you want more information on what this is, because it's very confusing and while I can attempt to explain it, it may not be completely accurate. I am meeting with my doctor on Monday to discuss this diagnosis more, so until then I only have limited knowledge of this diagnosis. According to Google many people have this gene mutation, but not everyone develops symptoms. It just depends if the mutation is homozygous or heterozygous. So the good news is I have a diagnosis, the bad news is I have to go have more testing done to determine if the mutation is homozygous or heterozygous. If the mutation is homozygous it's likely this mutation had nothing to do with me losing the baby. If it is heterozygous this mutation can cause a blood clotting disorder, which may have led to me losing the baby. This mutation can also cause my body to not absorb the needed amino acids needed during pregnancy. I know this is a lot of information and it's overwhelming (trust me, I'm super overwhelmed!).
The great news is that if the mutation is heterozygous there are treatment options to try and prevent another pregnancy loss. I'll have more information on Monday as far as the diagnosis and what our plan of action will be for my next pregnancy. Please continue to pray for Randy and I, hopefully 2013 will still bring us a baby!
While nothing can bring little baby Sellers back, I am glad you have some answers to pursue. I pra your upcoming appointments go well and you will have a plan to move forward with growing your famil even more in 2013.
ReplyDeleteThank you dear! You are right, nothing is going to bring back Baby Sellers, and nothing is going to fill the whole in my heart. I am just praying that now that I have an answer I will NEVER have to go through this horrific experience again....
Delete